Greensafe IT offer various different data erasure services; our services are aimed at increasing data security and can be carried out at customer site or at our secure facility. Our senior engineers are experienced data erasure specialists that can handle any type technology and are able to handle any issues that can arise whilst undertaking the data erasure and destruction activity.
Why Choose GreensafeIT
- FREE NATIONWIDE COLLECTIONS
- Highly Secure and Certified IT Recycling Business
- HMG Approved Data erasure solutions
- All staff have been security vetted and approved.
- Overseen over 3M devices with 65 years combined management experience
- Full asset report produced as standard with every collection
- Ability to generate revenue from 80% of equipment returned to us on average
- Secure dedicated collections with security cleared staff
- Most Certified, secure and comprehensive mobile Shredding Solutions in the Market
- ISO14001 & ISO9001, ADISA & DIPCOG Certified
- Approved and certified by the Environment Agency
A trusted team
Our team of security cleared personnel install trust and peace of mind and our solution complies with the following mandates and standards:
- HMG Security Policy Framework
- HMG IA Standard No. 5 – Secure Sanitisation
- ADISA (Asset Disposal Information Security Alliance)
- BE EN 15713:2009 Secure destruction of confidential material — Code of practice
- JSP 440 Joint Services Publication
- Data Protection Act 1998
Essentially the service:
- Manages data security concerns by erasing sensitive or restricted assets
- Provides visual erasure or destruction providing accountability for yourselves
- Ensure there is no risk of data breach through controlled processes and fail safes.
- Time & money saved through efficient erasure process.
As a Blancco partner GreensafeIT has the experience and skills to ensure our data erasure processes are of the highest standard both in the application we use and the experience of our teams. Please see below a video which provides you a detailed overview of the Blancco software:
The data erasure is a method of software based overwriting that completely destroys all electronic data residing on a hard disk drive. Permanent data erasure goes beyond basic file deletion commands, which only removes direct pointers to the actual files and makes data recovery possible with common software tools. Unlike degaussing or physical destruction, which render the disk unusable. Data erasure/data wiping removes all information while leaving the hard disk drive operable, preserving assets and the environment.
The data erasure method supports high end server and Storage Area Network (SAN) environments with the hardware support for Serial ATA, Serial Attached SCSI (SAS), and fibre channel disks and remapped sectors. The application operates directly with sector sizes such as 520, 524 528 removing the need to reformat to 512 sector sizes: desktops, laptops are also supported within this environment.
The erasure service caters for all flavours of technology.
Public exposure of confidential data has become a common occurrence. The media has exploded with stories of high profile cases concerning the loss of sensitive data, strongly emphasising the need to properly destroy data.
Information assets pose a significant risk due to the large volumes of confidential information that is stored on them. Data must be completely destroyed before IT assets are disposed of, recycled, reused or donated. Corporations are obliged by law to ensure the safe disposal of sensitive information or face the penalties of non-compliance.
Failure to erase data could result in:
- Identity theft
- Time in prison
- Federal and/or civil liability
- Exorbitant fines or lawsuits
- Irreparable damage to an organization’s reputation
- Loss in consumer confidence
- Decline in revenue due to bad will and loss of clients
Hard Disk Drives
The data erasure meets all approved erasure standards currently in circulation and GreensafeIT can provide all algorithms upon request.
The application contains low level drivers for all the hard disks that it can erase, in no event BIOS calls are used. Disks can be either IDE or SCSI-disks connected to a supported adapter or motherboard.
The basic disk operations that are used in the erasure process are: Inquiry, SMART self-test (optional), read, write and flush buffers.
The Inquiry command is used to fetch the parameters of the hard disk: number of blocks, block size, vendor, product name, serial and revision. These parameters are then used to implement the erasure properly as well as those are used in asset management.
The SMART self-test is for detecting the state of the hard disk. SMART reporting can be used to determine faulty hard disk even before data loss or other symptoms appear.
The read/write operations that are standard disk-operations. The application write operations are always synchronised so that possible write errors are identified and flagged.
Flush-command is run when required by hardware so that hard disk RAM-cache are emptied and data written to the disk platter(s).
The data erasure/data wiping process can be written as follows:
- Fetch hard disk parameters (Inquiry)
- Test hard drive for errors (SMART self-test, optional)
- Write hard disk sectors with specified pattern starting with sector number 0, counting write errors as they come up as bad sectors.
- Flush buffers, check if there’s any errors in this process.
- If multiple overwriting passes are specified the steps 3 and 4 are repeated. Notice that the number of bad sectors are multiplied by the amount of overwriting passes.
Digital Media Shredder supports 4 international sanitising algorithms for erasing flash-type media:
- Army Regulation, AR380-19
- U.S. Department of Defence, 5220.22-M
- Navy Staff Office Publication, NAVSO P-5239-26 (2 overwriting rounds)
- Navy Staff Office Publication, NAVSO P-5239-26 (4 overwriting rounds)
All algorithms are can be catered including HMG Infosec 5 standards
Supported Media Types:
- USB thumb drives
- Secure Digital card (SD) memories
- CompactFlash cards
- MP3 players with flash drives
- Digital cameras
- Other flash based storage media
The main purpose of the application is to securely erase internal flash memory and other storage units (external memory card, SIM card) from the attached (via USB) smartphones. An erasure report can be generated containing the result of the erasure process. The report can be printed or saved to a hard drive/external media.
The erasure process is performed at a high level. It does not delete operating system files, integrated operating system applications or firmware updates. It does, however, delete all user content related to those applications. The external memory is fully formatted and overwritten. The phonebooks and call & messaging information on the SIM – cards are deleted and overwritten.
The data erasure method conforms against all approved standards currently available.